Monday, December 22, 2008

The brightside

Whilst she was diligently typing her work day away, her cell phone chimed a classic indie tune. The number on the screen was an old friend from many great adventures past.

They greeted each other on the line as if no time had lapsed between them. The last time they had seen each other was a year ago after Thanksgiving when they caught up on the milestones in each other's lives that had passed over 4 years. She only had the long term relationship, house purchase, domestication and marriage news. Her friend was toting around her news with similar headlines, as well as an accessory in diapers.

This time, however, she could deliver the latest on the dissolution of all she had spoken of just a year prior. How the process was mutual and mature, everyone was fine, the house was sold and they were ahead despite the market, how the final parts were almost over, how she felt a bit like she was on vacation.

"I just wanted to call you and see how you've been," her friend said as she drove her babe around town. "Things have gotten more stressful here as the baby's health has taken a downturn, and his daddy still can't hold a job. I can't even remember the last time we had sex..." she paused before continuing. "I think I stopped telling you how everything was going for me, because I knew all I wanted to really say was that sometimes I'm so jealous of you!"

No comments: