Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Snow kissed

He had just dropped me back off at my parent's house. And we were standing outside in the chill of the late night air continuing our conversation from the car which had flowed just as easily and comfortably as the rest of the evening's dialogue of many topics.

We were both home from our respective universities for the holiday break and came into contact pre-Christmas when we both hijacked our respective sister's instant messenger chat. We all went to the same high school. He graduated a year after me. Our younger siblings had been best friends since second grade.

He had always been fabulous in a super cool way -- friendly, approachable, kind -- and we always had much to talk about, not that we had really talked much over the years. So, over IM we decided to go out for late evening chai, board games and people watching at the notorious local coffee house by campus. We closed the place down.

The winter air was nippy, and the fresh loose snow flakes sparkled in the light of the porch lamp. As the talk wound down as if to call it a night and bid adieu, his hands played in his pockets as he looked down at the patterns his shoes were making in the snow. "It was lovely spending time with you," he said.

"I had fun too! Let's do it again before vaca ends." I replied, looking forward to it already.

"Come here and give me a hug."

I stepped towards him and embraced the wool peacoat that covered his tall thin frame.

"Good night, Patrick." I smiled as I turned towards the house.

"Good night, Miss Ali." he lingered briefly. "Wait..., one more thing..." he said as he turned me around and pulled me close.

"Wha..." I uttered, bemused by the moment's flurry.

"I want to kiss you."

I had no time to worry about the syntax of things before his sure hand lifted my chin to his (mighty fine) warm lips. The perfect blend of suave and desire set an electrical storm through my core for days. I could not have imagined a better first kiss.

Nothing has topped it since.

No comments: